Windows comes with remote desktop client already installed. To connect to a remote server, follow the below steps.
- Hold the windows key and press R, this will open the 'Run' dialog.
- Enter 'mstsc.exe' and click 'OK'. (Alternatively, you can search for the 'Remote Desktop Connection' program in the start menu.)
- Enter the server IP address and click Connect. If you're using a custom RDP port, enter the server IP address, then a colon (:) then the custom RDP port as per the below screenshot.
Using OSX / Apple:
- Install Microsoft Remote Desktop 8.0 from the OSX app store.
- Once installed, run the application.
- Click '+ New' on the menu bar.
- Fill out the server details, then click the red close button in the top left corner of the window (note: The 'PC name' field is where you enter the server hostname or IP address. If you're using a custom RDP port, enter it after the server IP address and a colon (:). e.g. If you're using custom RDP port 3321, and your server IP was 126.96.36.199, then you would enter 188.8.131.52:3321)
- The server will now show in the list. Double click it to connect.